How do you define success?
Is it by how much you earn each year?
Maybe by your job title? Possessions? Family?
Quite honestly, the answer is different for each person.
Although the answer to what success means can differ from one person to another, yet most people will agree that success is more than what it appears on the surface.
Today, I want to share with you the Success illusion, a beautiful illustration created by Sylvia Duckworth.
Sylvis has so beautifully cleared the confusion about success.
She explains that success is an "iceberg."
There is what people usually see on the surface!
Things like confidence, wealth, beauty, relationships, and seniority.
Meanwhile, there is what people don’t see hiding below the surface.
The things that successful people go through or practice, things like Persistence, failure, sacrifice, disappointment, discipline, hard work, and dedication.
Check out the illustration below:
Yet, for most people, they only focus on the surface.
They only see the smiles, the happiness, the wealth and the confidence that successful people exude.
While successful people might be happy go lucky for most of the times, I can almost guarantee you they have their fair share of disappointment and even failure.
Well, often in life things are not what they seem to be on the surface…
And this is the case for success.
1. Persistence is admirable, as long as it’s for the right things. Ask for, and be open to feedback from friends and family. Sometimes it’s not easy to see the wood for the trees when you are too close to something.
2. Embrace failure It’s okay to fail. It’s actually important to fail, but learn from it and don’t make the same mistakes again.
3. Sacrifice is another admirable quality but what are you sacrificing for success? Losing sight of what is important, sacrificing time and relationships with family and friends, is not admirable.
4. Disappointment should be expected: You will always be disappointed by people and events. That’s life. Accept it and get busy living.
5. Good habits should be embraced, and shared, to make you more productive and successful, and to make the world a better place. Take a pause to look at your daily routine, reflect and rebalance. Life is not a dress rehearsal.
6. Hard work is praised, but this doesn’t mean you have to work long hours. It means you simply need to focus on the things that will move the needle for you, your team, your company.
7. Dedication: You can only be dedicated if you are passionate. Life’s short. Get passionate.
You gotta accept it with all its glory as well as all its ups and downs and stand tall just like an iceberg!
I hope this post really got you thinking and inspired you to accept success with all its sides.
For more updates, follow us on Social Media
(Or) Need a career advice